April 15, 2020
We made the extremely difficult decision to close our stores on March 17th to protect the safety of our team members and customers. Personally, this was one of the most difficult decisions we had to make. Since the early days of Philz, my dad and I have never dreamed of closing down stores but we knew we made the right decision through the lens of our people-first culture. With that said, we had to figure out how we’d take care of our team members, keep them engaged, get back to serving our communities and support the health of our business. We have to stand strong at the end of the crisis, so we stepped up and worked hard with our team members to test a safe way to Philz for our teams and customers.
We are pleased to report that we’ve designed a safe way to Philz for our customers and team members and have reopened most of our stores as of April 8th. Some of the changes include moving to mobile ordering, and placing cups at the entrance door for pick-up, making our entrance act like a walk-up window or drive-thru on foot. We are limiting how many team members work per shift, and are providing masks and gloves for protection, conducting rigorous and frequent sanitization along with daily cleaning checklists, and much more, which you can see in our other updates here.
The Philz Mobile App plays an important role in enabling a safe experience. It eliminates the need to order in-person and pay a cashier supporting a contactless experience. It also allows you to choose a specific pick-up time which helps support social distancing by reducing the crowd gathered to pick up drinks. It offers the full Philz menu including drinks, food and bags so you can enjoy Philz at home. And most importantly, the app has been custom designed to mirror the human-centered, personalized experience you get when ordering in store, by carrying a conversational tone when choosing your drink and letting you meet the Barista that’s hand-making your cup. The app will tell you exactly when your drink is ready. When you pick up, your name and your Barista's signature will be on your label, to reflect that cup of love that was personalized for you.
If it is your first time at Philz or first time using the Philz App and you need some help navigating through or choosing a drink, please reach out to us @Philzcoffee on twitter. I’m also available to help anytime @JacobJaber. From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank our team and customers for the amazing support of Philz. It’s been very touching to hear stories from customers about how happy they are that Philz is back up and running and how it provides that sense of comfort and normalcy we are all craving. Our mission at Philz is to Better People’s Days. We want to build community through kindness, authenticity and connection. This is why we exist. We remain committed to this mission now more than ever.
Please download the Philz Mobile App, and come visit us and please help spread the word by telling a friend! Lastly, please keep the feedback coming, it is how we get better. As we continue to monitor the situation daily, please stay tuned for updates.
April 6, 2020 - Store Locations Currently Open
At Philz, our mission is to Better Days. We made the decision on March 17th to temporarily close our stores as it was in the best interest of our team and customers. Since that time, we have been working tirelessly on a way to re-open that is safe for all and allows us to better your day. Given that this is an uncertain time, we are beginning to test a mobile pick up concept in a few of our stores before deciding to go further.
The following locations are now open for a mobile-only experience and we’ve added food and pound bags to our mobile app for added convenience. Hours are limited and vary by locations. For most up to date hours check the Philz App.
- Civic Center
- Corte Madera
- First St. Mobile
- Folsom & Beale
- Front St.
- Noe Valley
- Ocean Ave.
- Russian Hill
- Dogpatch (4/20)
- Cupertino Main
- Forest Ave
- Los Gatos
- Middlefield Rd.
- Redwood City
- San Mateo
- Cupertino DeAnza (4/20)
- Walnut Creek
- Belmont Shore
- DTLA - Hope
- El Segundo
- Santa Monica
- Studio City
- Huntington Beach
- South Coast Metro
- Del Mar
- La Jolla
- Hyde Park
- Lincoln Park
- Wicker Park
Washington DC Area
- Adams Morgan
- Navy Yards
There are a number of steps we have taken to make this possible including:
- Moving to a mobile order only experience and placing the cups at the door for pick up. Think of our doors like a walk-up window or a drive-thru on foot.
- Unlike other pre-order apps, you can pick your *exact* pick up time, which will limit crowding and physical contact at the pick up table.
- Limiting the number of team members that are in store to 3 or less, and requiring 6 ft plus between them at all times.
- Working towards having the same team members work together each day.
- Daily symptom checks including temperature reads for anyone working a shift. If any team member is not comfortable working, they do not have to.
Download the iOS or Android app ahead of time to get started and please tweet us @Philzcoffee if you need any help on how to use the app or suggestions on what to order.
We have heard from so many of you that you would like to see us reopen under this model, and we are inspired by our team members who want to serve the community during this difficult time. One of our core values is to Make Progress and Deliver on Quality. We are excited about this test and to Better your Day!
We’re looking forward to your feedback. Hope you are staying safe & healthy.
March 25, 2020
With increased delivery needs across the country, our shipping partners may experience delays in processing deliveries and updating tracking information. We are working hard to fulfill your order as quickly as possible. Please check our partner’s websites for more up to date information. (UPS Service Guarantee, USPS Service Alerts)
March 18, 2020
A note from our Roasting Plant Leadership:
Monday we announced our decision to close our stores temporarily for the safety of our customers and team members. Today we want to take a moment to address the steps we are taking at our Roasting Plant to ensure safety of our team, and our process. We are currently open to produce coffee with a small team. Since we are a food processing facility, we have always maintained strict food safety policies including hair and beard nets, gloves and frequent cleaning. Below are the additional steps we are taking to keep our team and facility safe:
- We have increased our Industrial Cleaning staff and increased the frequency of cleaning all counters, doorknobs, common surfaces, machine common touchpoints and are sanitizing with an alcohol-based sanitizer.
- Disposable gloves are worn in any area where a human hand could come in contact with coffee.
- We use a Pathspot hand scanning system which provides us with empirical hand washing data so we can validate there are no foodborne pathogens on the team members hands.
- We’ve installed additional hand sanitizer dispensers throughout the facility including breakroom areas and bathrooms.
Beyond these precautions we are checking in frequently with our Roasting Plant team to ensure they are comfortable in their work environment.
- Anyone who is not directly needed for the production process is not allowed in the roasting plant.
- All remaining work stations are set up to create social distancing.
- We held informational town halls with our team members led by our Food Safety and Food Defense Team Members to educate them concerning the COVID 19 Virus characteristics, how we can work as a team to prevent its spread, our personal and social responsibility in doing our part to keep each other safe and what we can do as a team to keep our facility clean and operable.
- If any team member feels uncomfortable working at the plant during this period, we are working with our People Ops team to work through options including time off.
We appreciate your ongoing support and concern for the wellbeing of our teams. We will continue to keep you updated here and through our social channels.
March 16, 2020
Dear Philz Customers,
I shared a message just a few days ago about the measures we’re taking to protect the health of our team members and customers against COVID-19. Like you, the Philz leadership team and I have been closely monitoring the situation in order to react in a bold and quick manner.
Now we are at a point that we feel the best decision is to temporarily close our stores starting tomorrow, 3/17. We’ll continue to track the situation daily and will reopen our stores as soon as it is safe to do so. We’ll be sure to communicate with you when that happens. Please know that we’ll be doing everything we can to care for our team members during this temporary closure, including paying for scheduled shifts and continuing all current benefits. As you can imagine, this was an extremely difficult decision, but we lead with our values at Philz. We know this is the right decision—the health of our communities is paramount.
We can’t wait to reopen and better your day with a Cup of Love. In the meantime, we have waived shipping charges from 3/20 – 4/20 (details coming soon on our website) to make it easier for you to enjoy Philz at home. We have an amazing selection that I hope you will check out. Please visit our website and make sure to tell a friend: www.philzcoffee.com.
We look forward to being back up and running so we can serve you. We will get through this and come out stronger, I know it.
Stay tuned, stay safe, stay healthy.